Friday, November 4, 2011

My First Illustration ~ Process


I started with this story from an old book of Celtic Fairy tales. The tale begins with a man who comes across a drunken leprechaun. I chose this plot point to do my first illustration.
 



I did quite a few sketches to work out the composition. These are some of my favorites. In the end, I got the leprechaun's look down, but wasn't so happy with the man - he looks too young and not quite malicious enough...


Here's the final drawing, done (very carefully) on watercolor paper. It took a while, but I got the man to look exactly how I wanted... yes! I wish I had gotten a better photo, but oh well, live and learn!




Here are two photos of the painting progression. I'll post a photo of the finished piece when I complete it this weekend.

And there you have it. I am really excited to have my first illustration under way. May many more follow afterwards!


No comments:

Post a Comment